Green Awards 2017 winner
WEST Pharmaceutical Services win 2017 Green Pharmaceutical Award
Congratulations to West Pharmaceutical Services on their recent award in the "Green Pharmaceutical"category in the 2017 awards for Green Business & Sustainability.
West’s “Green Team” in Dublin has worked on significant environmental projects that extended across a number of departments including: Environmental Health and Safety, Lean Manufacturing, Facilities, Maintenance and Warehousing.
The team’s efforts, and the resulting Green Award, are evidence of West’s commitment to Corporate Responsibility--specifically within the area of Environmental Sustainability.
Some of the Dublin facility metrics include:
- 30% energy reduction by installing energy efficiency systems. 750,000 kilowatt hours saved annually, or the equivalent electricity used by 150 family homes for one year
- 99% of waste diverted away from landfills
- 80% reduction in gas use through recycling heat energy
- 100% of electricity from renewable energy sources such as wind or water
- 400 truck journeys eliminated annually
- 70 tons of carbon dioxide saved by production and packaging optimization
The Green Awards were judged by a panel of 15 domestic and internationally based experts. West was up against tough competition in the Green Pharmaceutical Award category, including some of the world’s top pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies.
A spokesperson for West said; "We are very pleased to have received the 2017 Green Pharmaceutical Award. Our Dublin facility is doing a great job to improve energy use and reduce West’s carbon footprint. These changes have not only increased efficiency, but reduced the overall cost of doing business."
West Pharmaceutical Services are based on Damastown Close in the Dublin Enterprise Zone. West is a leading global manufacturer in the design and production of technologically advanced, high-quality, integrated containment and delivery systems for injectable medicines. West are a trusted partner to the world’s top pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies—working by their side to improve patient health. The company recently expanded their operations on site to cater for new customer contracts.